Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Laos, Tuk Tuk To The Golden Temple

 

The night passes too quickly as the morning sun sneaks it way through the curtain cracks of our first floor hotel room. It will be a short morning as we will leave Vientiane on a bus at 10am for Vang Vieng.

I rise but not necessarily shine for a quick tour of what is considered the most important temple in Laos.

 

006Just outside of Dragon Guesthouse we find a tuk tuk driver lounging around that will take us to The Golden Temple for about US$5 round trip.

 

 

 

Although I am sure you can still bargain for tuk tuk fares, it is interesting that this tuk tuk has posted fares sanctioned by the government to popular destinations around the city.

 

005From a stop at a local gas station, if my calculations are right, the cost of gasoline is pretty high here. About US$5 per gallon.

Luckily, I think a tuk tuk gets about 500-600 miles to the gallon.

 

 

   

 

002The Golden Temple

 

It is still early enough in the morning that when we arrive at The Golden Temple the area is still relatively vacant and quiet. A walk across a huge open area where pilgrims gather during religious festivals and I can soon see close up some of the other beautiful temples here.

 

008 - CopyFrom a sign posted outside of The Golden Temple I learn that some of Buddha's bones are buried here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

014

 

With a limited amount of time I only get to enjoy this temple from the outside. There is a small admission fee if you want to tour inside the temple.

 

009 - CopyAgain, I am in awe of the skill and craftsmanship on display as I look at these splendid buildings.

More time should be allowed to enjoy the scene and serenity here on a morning like this.

 

 

 

018Roasted corn is not the first food that comes to mind when I think about breakfast, however, it is hard to pass up when you can get two of them fresh for about a buck.

 

 

 

Enjoying one of them on the back of a tuk tuk and I think can life get any better than this.

 

 

No comments: