There was an error in this gadget

Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Bahrain, Lunch Time

 

Although The Awal is an older hotel it's comfortable bed and my late night Bollywood experience makes for a late start for my day to tour a bit of Bahrain.

 

 

ST76 JAN26B 004This area of Bahrain seems to have a high population of Indians and when I spot an Indian restaurant filled with patrons (all men), I stop in for lunch.

 

 

 

 

I am somewhat excited by the dining experience that I am witnessing as there are no utensils on the table. Everyone is eating from tapas type serving dishes and they are eating with bare hands. Cool.

 

 

 

ST76 JAN26B 005Why A Fork For Me

 

 

I order up and I am a little disappointed when my meal comes with a fork and knife. I thought I had the waiter fooled into thinking I was a local. Obviously, my “Mar ha bah” did not work. Following what I saw others do earlier, I get up from my table and walk to the back of the restaurant. There at a basin I wash my hands and return to my table.

Admittedly, it is a little easier to dig into rice with your fingers than some of the other dishes others are eating. However, I think my act is still not that convincing and I eventually return to the fork.

 

 

ST76 JAN26B 006However, I did pick a part a fried fish with my fingers like a local.

As an Islander this is something I have been able to do most of my life.

 

 

 

 

One custom I pass on is finishing your meal by drinking milk. Milk is then poured onto your plate to sop up whatever is left behind.

Filled from lunch, I retrieve my car from The Awal free parking lot and set off to discover one of the mysteries of Bahrain.

No comments: