Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Israel, Journey From Amman

 

Map picture

                                                                                       

 

 

 

 

 

 

Amman Bus terminal Amman Bus Terminal
 

My journey to Israel begins at 7:00am from The Amman Bus Terminal.

I am convinced my first impression of Israel would have been completely different had I entered the country at Tel Aviv.

 
However, I always appreciate my travels more when I can experience it like a local.
 
 
 
 
The border crossing gave be a better prospective of the everyday struggle that certain people here face for what others would consider a normal routine elsewhere.

40 YEARS 
DSC00796The "Moses' Syndrome" is alive and well as I set off to enter
 
"The Promised Land"
 
 
 
 
 

6:20AM
 
Strawberry Fanta At the main bus station I have a falafel and “Strawberry Fanta" for breakfast, JD$1.
 
We wait for enough passengers to show up before we leave for King Hussein Bridge.  I can take a taxi for JD$12 but the bus is only JD$3 plus JD$0.50 per bag.
 
Offer are made to exchange my dinars for sheqels. At JD$40 for NIS$100, it is no bargain.
 
 
 
 
As we leave the bus terminal, I am the only tourist on the bus with men sitting in front and women in the back.

8:30AM
 
At the Jordanian Border, I walk around to tourist side and start the Jordanian departure process. Bags are x-rayed in one building and then I walk freely with my bag to another building.
 
WINDOW-1 my passport is taken.
WINDOW-2 does something with my passport and tells me to pay JD$5.
WINDOW-3 I get a stamp and go back to. You guessed wrong.
WINDOW-2 smiles and tells me I will get my passport back on the bus and "To please take a seat in "DEPARTURE LOUNGE-1".

Half an hour later a bus arrives to take us to Israeli Border. This time it is JD$3 plus JD$0.50 per bag even carry ons.
 
As our passports are given back by an official who has not seen us before a humorous exchange takes place with a few Arabic ladies. Apparently, their passport pictures are too similar.

Two Checkpoints and King Hussein Bridge along with the Israeli Border comes into sight.



Last Jordanian Border Crossing

 



No comments: