Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

UK, Hanging In Earls Court, Men's Volleyball

 

 

LHRCAN 001Using the information I have gathered so far, my second day holds great promise of fulfilling one of the reasons I am in London.

 

 

 

From the previous night, I have discovered that tickets are being released on CoSports and London 2012 websites.

However, they are being disproportionately distributed. Nonetheless, I am told the plan I am about to execute has a good chance of producing favorable results. With four different events selected, I repeatedly press enter on my “Toshiba” netbook.

The disappointment continues and lasts for about 45 minutes. At 45 minutes and 10 seconds, as if the London 2012 Gods smiled on me I am given 2 minutes to purchase tickets for Men's Volleyball.

 

LHRSAM 034I am ecstatic.

Without much trial and tribulations, I am going to see a London 2012 Olympic Event.

Fortunately, I am staying just about a 15 minute walk from Earls Court.

 

 

I arrive there in plenty of time to join the Will Call queue for tickets. In a few minutes, I will be hanging in Earl's Court. This afternoon the first match is Brazil versus Argentina followed by the United States versus Italy. Both matches I am sure will not disappoint.

Entering the venue early, we are not allowed into the seating area so I stroll around and come across an area where there is free face painting.

 

LHRSAM 043It's a first for me and although not American born, I am proud to have “The Stars And Stripes” painted on my face.

 

 

 

About an hour before the matches are scheduled to begin we are allowed into the seating area. I almost feel like Jack Nicholson at a Los Angeles Lakers game. Our seats are on Level 0, only 13 rows up from court side. Although some say it could not be done, I feel like a Rock Star!

 

 

LHRCAN 094Playing Conga Drums In Earls Court

 

The air in the arena is charged with fun and excitement as the emcee and performers entertain the crowd. The entertainment is not only fun but also educational as we learn about the history and fundamentals of volleyball along with learning to play conga drums.

Soon it's match time and the crowd really comes alive as the players from Brazil and Argentina are introduced. Although Brazil wins 3-0, the game has been more than fun and exciting to watch. The choreography and execution of some of the plays were just amazing.

As the next set of players are introduced I am even more excited to watch the sets. Team USA, USA, USA! In a first set that is about as exciting a volleyball match that you could ever hope to witness, Team USA loses 26-28 to Italy. I am not discouraged but after a second lost I know Team USA chances are dim.

As the Italian fans celebrate their 3-0 victory over Team USA, I am still proud to show my support and wear “The Stars & Stripes”. Leaving Earls Court I am following a young Team USA supporter who shows some disappointment on his face but on his back I can tell he is also proud of The Land of The Free and The Home of The Brave.

 

No comments: