Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

El Salvador, Hangin “10” For Two Seconds, Maybe

 

 

2013-06-11 10.03.31After a nice fresh made to order breakfast at Hotel Del Posada, we are headed back to the airport not to leave El Salvador but to pick up a rental car.

Turns out it is a lot cheaper to rent a car at the airport than in the city.

 

 

Leaving the airport we head for Sabas Resort hotel in La Libertad where we are given a warm and friendly welcome. With a recommendation from the front desk clerk we drive just a few miles to Kayu Surf School and sign-up so to speak for two US$20 per person surf lessons.

 

2013-06-11 15.01.21Kayu is located at one of the more popular surf areas in La Libertad.

A restaurant above the surf school location gives nice views of the area and the breaking waves below.

 

 

 

 

 

 

2013-06-11 14.59.32Restaurant View At Kayu Surf School

 

 

A quick brief lesson on standing up on the surf board and my son and I set off to see if we can experience what so many come here to do. Unlike in Waikiki where I took a lesson many years ago, there is no sand beach area here just lots of smooth and sometimes large charcoal pebbles. With these conditions it is a small task to get in the water in between the crashing waves but manageable.

 

 

2013-06-11 16.39.29Neither one of us by any means consider ourselves “surfer dudes” but I do instantly enjoy paddling my board across the warm tropical waters.

 

 

 

 

Even if we do not “catch a wave” being able to be out here will still have been a worthwhile experience. My son and I have different instructors and go our separate ways as we paddle out.

A few words and gestures from my instructor in Spanish and I make a few futile attempts to relive my Hawaii experience. However, it seems that too much time has passed or these waves are a lot bigger than the one I rode out west because this is not coming as easy I expected.

More paddling sometimes with the help of my instructor and after about forty five minutes out in the water the moment of truth arrives. I get ready as my instructor repositions my board and we both watch as a wave approaches. Something is said in Spanish and I know what I must do.

Grabbing the edge of the board, I feel the surge of the wave and somehow manage to pull myself up right and let the ocean carry me forward without me having much control. My excitement last about one or two minutes in my mind but in reality it was probably only two to ten seconds. We spend a few more attempts trying to duplicate my minor victory but I only face repeated defeat that however still turns out to be a lot of fun.

 

 

No comments: