Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

South Africa, Zandberg Food & Wine

 

With just a few hours left in Cape Town, I plan one more brief visit to the nearby Stellenbosch wine region. A cellar tour and lunch would be nice before flying back to Johannesburg.

 

 

JNB Trip 542My first stop is at Zandberg Winery and it becomes my only stop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

JNB Trip 532Impressed with the ambiance and the menu at it's restaurant, I decide to have lunch first then tour the winery afterward.

The menu offers so many wonderful options that I am secretly wishing I was a cow with a four chambered stomach.

 

 

 

 

JNB Trip 525Trio Of Puglia’s Mozzarella

 

 

For starters, The Trio Of Puglia's Mozzarella Pin Wheels is ordered. Traditional mozzarella, grilled vegetables, basil pesto, Italian anchovy, olive tapenade, Parma ham and sun dried tomatoes make taking these wheels for a spin tons of culinary fun.

While waiting for my starters to arrive, slices of a fresh warm sweet bread is served. If this bread is available in the prisons here then I am ready to start serving a life sentence. It is so, so delicious.

 

 

JNB Trip 526Next it is a bowl of Roasted Red Pepper soup that is so flavorful I am already scheming a way to steal the recipe.

Who knew a soup and red peppers could be so palette pleasing.

 

 

 

Even before my main course arrives this is turning into a 5-Star dining experience. Zandberg not only offers great food but it is also the first winery in South Africa to produce a white Merlot.This wine makes a nice compliment to my meal and I can already tell one glass of it is not going to be enough.

 

 

 

JNB Trip 534Lamb, Rosemary and Garlic Kofta

 

 

Angels are singing when my main course, Lamb, Rosemary and Garlic Kofta is presented. Organic pasture lamb, homemade linguine with an olive, anchovy tomato sauce and I am in culinary heaven.

Sing Angels, Sing!

The thought of visiting the winery is long gone as what time I have left in Cape Town needs to be spent enjoying this fabulous meal. Another glass of wine is poured and I kindly beg for more bread even if I commit a fine dining sin in doing so.

With such excellent starters and main courses, I have no doubt that a desert selection would not be just as spectacular.

 

 

JNB Trip 536Three different servings of Italian ice cream topped with a peppermint leaf finishes off a perfect lunch time meal.

 

 

 

 

Just above my table is an autographed wine crate to the owners of Zandberg restaurant that states “To the best little restaurant in the world!”. The signer, Martin Meinert is unknown to me but I would have a hard time disagreeing with his sentiment. If you dine at Zandberg you just might too.

 

 

JNB Trip 530Zandberg Compliments

 

 

No comments: