Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

South Africa, An Introduction To Cape Town

 

 

IMG_4916It is an early get up and go just outside of Johannesburg Airport as I am flying to Cape Town this morning on a fruit.

For about US$170 RT, I have purchased a ticket on Mango Airlines to Cape Town.

 

 

For many people driving to Cape Town from Jo'burg is a nice option along one of the popular routes if you have the time to do so.

As we begin our approach into Cape Town it is clear enough to see the surrounding mountains, famous vineyards and then the coast line as we make one last turn to land. Not a bad flight for flying on a fruit.

The weather is beautiful as I leave the Cape Town airport headed on a journey that I hope will be another of my fortunate once in a life time experiences. My destination is about two hours away but I am sure I will make a few detours along the way.

 

 

JNB Trip 190Stellenbosch Wine Region

 

 

Not far from the Cape Town Airport is the Stellenbosch wine region. If the scenery here is any indication of the quality of the wines and vineyards here, then I am in for a treat. With a wine region map in hand, it's like being a kid in a candy trying to choose which direction to go or which vineyard to visit first.

 

 

JNB Trip 200I am interested in cellar tours and make my first stop at Eikendal Vineyard.

I am disappointed to learn that tours are not being offered today but my disappointment vanishes as I am allowed to walk around the vineyard.

 

 

 

 

JNB Trip 195Surrounded by distant majestic towering mountains, rows and rows and rows of grape plants sparkle under a clear blue sky. A close inspection of the plants reveals miniature grapes that I am sure will soon make fine bottles of wine.

 

 

 

 

 

285Eikendal Wines

 

   

 

JNB Trip 204My next stop at Avontuur Estate takes longer than anticipated and making it to my destination for the night is being threaten. However, it is great talking to the hostess and learning about her wedding plans as I am sampling various wines and even brandy.

 

 

This vineyard is already in the “Holiday Spirit” and has a cute Christmas Tree made from wine bottles. Although I am enjoying the atmosphere here, too many more tastings and I think I going to have to end my day right here.

I have shared my Cape Town visit plans with the hostess and she makes a few recommendations, one of which I get started on right away. I am headed down the Whale Coast Route towards my final stop for the night.

 

 

No comments: