Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Antarctica, Icebergs Up Close And Personal

 

On clear days while crossing the North Atlantic I have seen many icebergs off the coast of Greenland but it has always been from at least 30,000 feet at a speed of over 500 miles per hour.

 

 

Ioffe Icebergs Bridge View This afternoon I am at sea level onboard the Akademik Ioffe as it is navigating a field of icebergs.

 

 

 

 

Ioffe Aft View Icebergs I feel like …

I'm the king of the world

as we cruise by these fantastic natural pieces of artwork.

 

 

 

Soon the Ioffe drops anchor and we are off on an afternoon zodiac tour. I have the good fortune to be on a zodiac driven by Lynn our expedition leader who shares her iceberg knowledge with us.

 

 

Up Close Our tour brings us up close and personal to these works of nature that may have taken thousands of year to create.

 

 

 

 

 

Aqua Blue Pool Iceberg Aqua Blue Pool

 

 

It is mesmerizing being so close to some of these icebergs that I almost want to dive into the aqua blue pool that is created inside some of them.

I imagine for most people like myself icebergs are thought about in a negative way because of the titanic type destruction they can cause.  However, today my mind is changing.

 

 

Iceberg Building I think so would Rose’s if she had a chance to experience them like we are doing this afternoon.

 

 

 

Jack, I want you to draw me an iceberg like you did your French girls and the Eiffel Tower …

 

 

Blue Sea Of Icebergs A Field Of Icebergs

 

 

 

No comments: