Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Suriname, Walking Around Paramaribo

 

Leaving Eco-Resort I cross the street and stop at a nearby gas station. Here, I again make a failed attempt to get local currency from an ATM. Fortunately they do accept “Greenbacks” and give me change back in SRD after I purchased a 1.5 liter of water.

 

IMG_0175 (640x480)It is a somewhat warm afternoon with the sun blazing down so strong that even men are walking around with huge umbrellas for protection.

I am to cool for that and decide to stick with my baseball cap although I end up paying the price later.

 

 

Looking to arrange a tour I drop in at All Suriname Tours located inside The Queen hotel. Again it is a challenge to do business with a credit card. In the end I reluctantly part with my dollars after getting a good price for a tour to Bergendal.

Next I make a stop at the local “Tourist Information” center where I get a wealth of information about Suriname and the local happenings. Just outside of the center is Fort Zeelandia claimed as one of the oldest spots in Paramaribo.

 

WP_20150609_011Unfortunately Fort Zeelandia is only opened until 2pm so I have to save my visit there for another day.

 

 

 

A walk along the Suriname River takes me to Waterkant but not before a brief stop at a war memorial. For me, this is always an honor to show some level of respect for those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

At Waterkant a local hangout for food and drinks I have a recommended Suriname “spicy” dish that along with the afternoon heat has my head sweating like a “oink, oink”.

 

 

WP_20150609_018Telo Trie

 

However, the cassava dish (Telo Trie) topped with salted small dry fish drizzled with a pepper sauce along with sliced cucumbers and a banana is not only unique but full of flavor.

With my head sweating somewhat under control I continue my walk around town to see some of the city's highlights. At one stop I city and watch locals board water taxi's that remind me of being in Mumbai.

 

IMG_0003I doubt any of these boats would pass a Coast Guard inspection but they are very much a big part of the local transportation system.

 

 

 

 

The most interesting sight in the city is seeing one of the many mosques in Paramaribo peacefully existing right next to a synagogue.

 

WP_20150612_010If only this somewhat ironic situation could be duplicate elsewhere maybe many area of the world would be more peaceful too.

 

 

 

On Heck Arronstraat I find another site that is worth a return visit when it is open from 6am-1pm. St Peter and Paul Cathedral is one of the largest wooden buildings in the Americas.

 

 

IMG_0171St Peter and Paul Cathedral 

 

 

IMG_0176I finish up my walk in the Palm Garden enjoying the beautiful sound of singing birds as much as the hundred plus towering palm trees.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Video:https://youtu.be/NlIOEn5s8Sw

No comments: