Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Suriname, Arriving Paramaribo

 

Just before we begin our descent for Paramaribo I switch seats after taking a bathroom break. Now sitting in an otherwise empty “Emergency Exit” row I am surprised that I am told I have to stop reading my book as we make our final approach for landing.

On Insel Air it is a requirement that you give your full attention to your possible duties during takeoff and landing if you are sitting in the “Emergency Exit” row. Maybe this is the way it should be with every airline.

At just pass midnight we touchdown in Paramaribo. It is a quick entry process and at this time of the night it is comforting to easily discover that my pre-arranged transportation is waiting for me. What is not so comforting is that the airport ATM is slow and rejects my attempts to get local currency.

It's over an hour ride into the city and a taxi is about a US$50 fare. Through Eco-Resort I have arranged a US$15 airport shuttle and I am glad I did. It is not too often that I check into a hotel after one in the morning but I guess a long day of traveling makes for a good night of rest.

 

WP_20150609_005I am up for a delicious breakfast where no doubt I over stuff myself with freshly made crepes, bacon and a local hot shrimp dish.

At least I am now charged up for a walk around the city.

No comments: