Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

South Africa, A Prego Roll In Pretoria

 

While conventional medical wisdom holds that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, on this particular Saturday morning in South Africa's Administrative Capital, Pretoria, I might tend to disagree.

 

 

IMG_4877My breakfast, slices of a delightful bread, full of various grains, fresh orange juice, sausages, grilled tomatoes, pears and ham along with a few cups of Rooibos Tea has now become a major obstacle as I park near a beautiful purple Jacaranda tree.

 

 

Following a recommendation from the owners of Friends B&B where I stayed last night, I have made my way to Hazel Market. Here local farmers, butchers, bakers along with various food and drink vendors gather on a regular basis to entice and delight potential customers.

 

 

VID01240 0 00 00-18Free, hard to resist samples of many of the goods are offered.

Only the strong do not fall to the temptations.

 

 

 

A lesson on the cashew nut and I am purchasing a package flavored with Himalayan salt which apparently has a few health benefits. From salt it's onto sweets. Breads, cupcakes and pastries. Then it's a sampling of grilled trout followed by shelling out a few rands for smoked polish sausage links. I do manage to pass on the cheese offerings as I am not a big cheese lover.

 

 

VID01254 0 00 00-29Due to local ordinances alcohol is not allowed to be sold at the market so a Virgin Rock Shandy will have to do for the time being.

 

 

 

There are variations of this drink but it basically includes soda water, ginger beer and lemonade with a dash of bitters. A refreshing summer drink.

Walking the grounds the weather is amazingly beautiful and I give my stomach a break before I see what another area of Hazel Market has to offer.

 

VID01261 0 00 00-07A selection of custard pastries, the smell of grilled chicken along with flat breads topped with fresh tomatoes, veggies and cheese brings me this close to a penalty flag.

 

 

 

I have no intention of getting a “Roughing The Stomach” or “Hand To The Mouth” call, so I resist the temptation. Like a great football player, my discipline pays off as I eye a lonely seasoned chicken breast sizzling in a hot frying pan at the 50 yard line.

A smiling face opposite me and I quickly sign up to tackle that chicken breast when it is place between two slices of a fresh roll bread. Loaded with eggplant, chili peppers,onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and drizzled with an oil based dressing, I am taking on a formidable opponent.

 

 

 

VID01265 0 00 05-05A Pretoria Prego Roll

 

 

I am driven back by the gustatory sensation of one of the best chicken sandwiches I have ever tasted. It's first and ten, then as John Madden would say “If the quarterback throws the ball in the end zone and the wide receiver catches it….It’s a touchdown.” This Pretoria Prego Roll has just scored a TD.

With Pretoria Prego Rolls around, looks like breakfast may not be the most important meal of the day, after all.

 

No comments: