Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Germany, Drivers Hauling A..!

 

CONVAR10 Leaving Europcar Rental garage at Frankfurt it is very easy to find my way to Autobahn 3.

 

 

 

I am on my way to Wurzburg and it is my first real introduction to German driving. With a posted speed of 120 kph, about 75mph, I am already allowed to legally drive about 10mph faster than the average speed limit in the United States.

Known by a few of my friends as “Grandpa” when it comes to driving, I am having a hard time pushing my feet down on the accelerator.

 

CAN 057 Thinking I would play it safe, I chose the middle lane but soon find my side and rear view mirrors filled with rapidly approaching headlights.

 

Although I am not concerned about road rage, I make the smart move and join the truckers in the right lane. Further along Autobahn 3 the overhead speed limit signs are extinguished and I guess all bets are off. The German drivers are hauling ass!

 

CAN 053 With much resistance, I decide to shed some of my “Grandpa” driving habits and now my Clio Renault  is doing about 130 kph!  Even so, I feel as if I am standing still.

 

 

 

CAN 052 A cargo van, mini van, moped and even a snail are just zooming by me with a blur.

 

 

 

Not to be outdone by a snail, I build up a bit more courage and push the Renault a bit more. Passing 150kph, I am still moving backwards compared to the other drivers on the Autobahn.

 

 

CONVAR43 “Captain, I think she can take some more but I don't think I can. Permission to change my shorts, Sir.”

So how far is it from Frankfurt to Wurzburg, Germany? It doesn't matter because if you are on the Autobahn, you'll be hauling ass!

 

No comments: