Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2018

Somalia, Arriving Somaliland


I arrive in Hargeisa without a visa or a hotel reservation but with a passion to visit another part of the planet that's not your typical tourist destination. Fortunately for me while waiting in line I meet two others that are in the same "visa boat".


Hargeisa AirportWithin 30 minutes and $60 later we are officially allowed in the country, one mission accomplished.






My second mission finding a hotel is made a little easier now that I have made two new friends who are being picked up by a local driver. Their destination The Ambassador Hotel is a possible option but l am looking for a more local place to stay. My earlier research suggest that The Oriental Hotel maybe the place place to start.


About three checkpoints including a parking lot exit and we are on our way in a beefed up Land Cruiser. As we approach The Ambassador my choice of hotel is confirmed. This is not the place that I want to stay. A car security sweep, multiple arm guards with machine guns and several layers of concrete barriers before we enter the property tells me this place is probably a target hotel. I wait for the others to get checked in then their driver is kind enough to help me continue my search.

No comments: